Thursday , January 27 2022
Home / SNB & CHF / Switzerland writes off small portion of flight repatriation bill

Switzerland writes off small portion of flight repatriation bill

Summary:
Repatriated passengers were expected to cover 80% of their flight bills. Keystone / Salvatore Di Nolfi The majority of stranded Swiss people repatriated during the first pandemic wave have paid back their share of flight bills. But the foreign ministry has been forced to write off CHF210,000 (0,000) and is still haggling over another CHF360,000. In spring 2020, Switzerland arranged for over 7,000 people (4,000 Swiss and 3,000 non-Swiss) to be flown homeExternal link from countries that were going into Covid-19 enforced lockdowns. The government agreed to cover 20% of the CHF7.5 million bill to carry out the “historic” repatriation effort. Some 7,100 invoices were sent out to people who were expected to stump up the remaining 80% of the flight fares themselves.

Topics:
Swissinfo considers the following as important: , , , ,

This could be interesting, too:

Marc Chandler writes FX Daily, January 26: Federal Reserve and Bank of Canada Meet as Risk Appetites Stabilize

Investec writes Higher tax deductions for parents in Switzerland starting in 2023

Patrick Konstantin writes Pakistan will Cryptomarkt komplett aussperren

Jeffrey P. Snider writes The Hawks Circle Here, The Doves Win There

Switzerland writes off small portion of flight repatriation bill

Repatriated passengers were expected to cover 80% of their flight bills. Keystone / Salvatore Di Nolfi

The majority of stranded Swiss people repatriated during the first pandemic wave have paid back their share of flight bills. But the foreign ministry has been forced to write off CHF210,000 ($230,000) and is still haggling over another CHF360,000.

In spring 2020, Switzerland arranged for over 7,000 people (4,000 Swiss and 3,000 non-Swiss) to be flown homeExternal link from countries that were going into Covid-19 enforced lockdowns.

The government agreed to cover 20% of the CHF7.5 million bill to carry out the “historic” repatriation effort.

Some 7,100 invoices were sent out to people who were expected to stump up the remaining 80% of the flight fares themselves. They were expected to pay their share within 30 days of receiving bills.

So far, around CHF6.9 million of the CHF7.5 million debt has been paid, the foreign ministry told news agency Keystone-SDA on Thursday.

But not all the money will be recovered because some debtors could not be found or were declared insolvent. In addition, the authorities have gone to the courts to recover some outstanding debt – confirming an earlier report in the Blick newspaper.

The repatriation program in March and April 2020 chartered 35 flights to retrieve citizens in countries as far flung as Peru, Chile, Morocco, Ghana, and the Ivory Coast.


Tags: ,,
About Swissinfo
Swissinfo
SWI swissinfo.ch – the international service of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation (SBC). Since 1999, swissinfo.ch has fulfilled the federal government’s mandate to distribute information about Switzerland internationally, supplementing the online offerings of the radio and television stations of the SBC. Today, the international service is directed above all at an international audience interested in Switzerland, as well as at Swiss citizens living abroad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *